Milken Institute School of Public Health
Gillings School of Global Public Health
40 Sunshine Cottage Road Valhalla, NY 10595
MPH Program Overview
The Master in Public Health (MPH) program from New York Medical College School of Health Science and Practice is a 46 credit program made up of five core courses, a thesis/capstone and a practicum. If you are accepted into the School of Medicine or Doctor of Physical Therapy( (DPT) program, you can earn a dual degree: either an MD/MPH or a DPT/MPH.
MPH students may focus their studies on four specialties, giving students a maximum amount of flexibility in reaching their career goals:
- Behavioral Science and Health Promotion
- Environmental Health Science
- Health Policy and Management
Note that you may earn your MPH fully online in these specialties: Health Policy and Management, and Environmental Health Science.
MPH Curriculum and Courses
At New York Medical College, you will take a total five core courses, totalling 16 credits:
- Health Care in the United States
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Introduction to Epidemiology
- Environmental Influences on Human Health
- Behavioral and Social Factors in Public Health
You also must take these required courses, as well:
- Principles and Techniques of Behavior Change
- Stress and Health
- Fundamentals of Research Methodology
- Health Program Planning and Evaluation
You also need to take 15 credits of electives, and complete the capstone or thesis requirement to earn your MPH.
To be admitted into the MPH program at New York Medical College, you must submit the following:
- Application and $50 application fee
- For the MPH program, you should have a 3.0 GPA from your undergraduate school
- GRE scores not required for the MPH, but are for the DrPH degree
- For most applicants, proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary colleges or universities
- Two recommendations from college professors or employers/supervisors
- Personal statement of 250 words that explains why you want to attend graduate school, as well as your career and professional goals
- An updated resume
- Other factors considered in your application include community involvement, work experience and extracurricular activities
MPH Tuition and Financial Aid
The cost of the MPH degree is $875 per credit hour, for a total of approximately $40,250, plus expenses, books and fees.
Students in the MPH program may be eligible for a tuition discount of 50% if they are are active duty military members. Also, the financial aid office at New York Medical College offers a variety of federal loan programs, and some scholarships, fellowships and grants for those who are financially and/or academically eligible. Please consult with the financial aid office to determine the best way to help you fund your MPH degree.