- Online Master of Public Health (MPH) program. Complete in as few as 12 months.
- Master of Public Health Online: Specialize in Community Health | No GRE Required
- Online MS in Health Informatics & Analytics. Complete in as few as 20 months. GRE waivers available
- Online Master's in Public Health (MPH) and Doctor of Public Health (DrPH)
George Mason University MPH Program
Department of Global and Community Health
George Mason University
Robinson Building B
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA, 23030-4444
PH: (703) 993-3126
MPH Program Overview
The George Mason University MPH program is designed to prepare public health practitioners to face modern challenges in public health on a community, national, and global scale.
The program is multidisciplinary in its approach to research, instruction, and community involvement and promotes the development of integrated knowledge and skills in public health. Students in this program will be endowed with a comprehensive understanding of community, leadership, and ethics in the diverse field of public health.
Part of the program’s mission is to instill in students the core values of community, diversity, innovation, justice, professionalism, science, and sustainability while developing them into leaders in public health sphere.
MPH Curriculum and Courses
The GMU MPH program consists of 42 credits including the following core coursework requirements:
- Global Health
- Health Promotion Methods
- Environmental Health
- US/Global Public Health Systems
- Project Management in Public Health
The remaining credits will be derived from a series of electives, specific to either the Epidemiology or the Global and Community Health concentration.
At the end of the program there is a 200-hour practicum as well as a culminating experience. The practicum is designed to give students an opportunity to practice and improve their skills in a professional public health environment. The culminating experience is essentially a final examination of the knowledge, skills, and experienced gained throughout the program curriculum.
A Bachelor’s degree is required for admission to the program, but admission to the George Mason MPH program is competitive and will entail a thorough evaluation of the following materials:
- Strength of undergraduate record/post-baccalaureate course work
- GRE scores
- Career goals
- Professional/volunteer experience in public health
- Evidence of the applicant’s ability to write and conduct research at the graduate level.
For a full list of application materials and a comprehensive guide to the application process, visit the MPH page on the school’s website
MPH Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition for this MPH is $543.75 per credit hour for in state students and $1,207.50 for out-of-state.
George Mason offers a number of internal and external funding options, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. A full list of options can be found on the GMU financial aid webpage. All students seeking assistance should fill out the FAFSA before each school year.